The bad news first: I was in the middle of photographing some oatmeal banana chocolate chip cookies when my camera took a field trip… off the kitchen counter, to the floor. It took the hit hard. So, without a way to take pictures for a little while, I’ll be posting less for the next few weeks. I have a enough recipes in my backlog that I’ll be posting one recipe a week for the next few weeks instead of my usual two. My new camera is on backorder, so I’m crossing my fingers it gets here ASAP!
The good news: I have curry to drown my sorrows in. 😉 Just kidding -- sort of.
Do you have a food you can’t live without? Maybe peanut butter? Or chocolate? Those are really good choices, and I would put them on my must-have list for sure (especially chocolate).
An oddball item on my list is curry. (You may have gotten that from the number of curry recipes already living on this blog. What can I say? I’m obsessed). I know, I know, curry is a really vague word. Am I talking about Thai curry? The bold and spicy curry of South India? Or maybe something warm, inspired by the Himalayas.
I’m going to give you a cop-out answer, and say I love them all. I like the whole category of curries, marked by their blend of spices, though most often I make curries inspired by Thailand or northern India. This is an example of the later. It offers a ying and yang of spicy and creamy; of hot and cool; of sweet and savory. Few other dishes are quite so satisfying.
This sweet potato & chicken curry is one actually an oldie from the blog -- something I originally published over two years ago! It needed a bit of a face lift, and I was more than happy to accommodate... This sweet and savory curry is welcome in my house anytime, but especially when we have a foot of snow outside (which we do right now!).
Serves: 4 | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (whole)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: dash of cayenne pepper, for extra heat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (or 1 large)
- 2 14-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes (diced works too, will just be a chunkier curry)
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- For serving: minced cilantro, roasted cashews, and your choice of rice/cauliflower rice/quinoa/etc
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil glisten, add diced onion, minced garlic, and minced ginger. Sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add the cubed chicken to the pan, browning on each side for about 3 minutes, and then turning to cook the other side. Add the minced serrano chile, spices, and salt, and stir.
- Add the diced sweet potato, along with the canned tomatoes, and coconut milk. Stir to incorporate everything.
- Bring to a simmer and place lid on pan, cooking until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Prick potatoes with a fork to ensure they are soft all the way through.
- Serve curry hot, sprinkled with cilantro and toasted cashews, along with a side of rice/cauliflower rice/quinoa/etc.