Summer is an evening on the porch, a cold drink in hand, the sun casting long shadows across the lawn, and the smell of an impending thunderstorm.
Summer is the taste of watermelon on my lips. Picking raspberries from a bush and popping them into your mouth right then and there; a whiff of basil and you pass by the herbs in the garden. Ice cubes. I never use ice cubes unless it's truly blistering out.
It is so close, it feels like I can reach out an grab it with my hands, though of course I will just have to wait a few more weeks.
Juices and smoothies seem a perfect fit for summertime, quenching and cooling all in one. This is a drink to enjoy while sitting on the back porch, with the chiminea lit and your flip flops on. Pick up a watermelon that feels heavy with juice, and raspberries that are deep red, make this agua fresca, and kick back. The long weekend is almost here!
Serves: 5 | Total Time: 10 minutes
For the filling:
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 mini watermelon (about 6 cups chopped, rind removed)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced basil, plus more for garnish
- Ice for serving
- Rinse the raspberries, and remove the rind from the watermelon, chopping it into cubes.
- Place all ingredients in a blender (I use this one) and puree until smooth.
- Serve cold, over ice. Garnish with a sprig of basil.